<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 08, 2004

Uninstalling OpenOffice.org 

I'd been advised not to install OOo on my machine given that it has no real chance of running on a 32 MB machine. However, it got installed by Mandrake during the installation process and, sure enough, it doesn't work - running it from X, got a pretty splash-screen that made my machine actually look like a modern PC (rather than a 1982 green-screen terminal) for a few minutes. Yes, that's right, minutes. It stayed up there with a loading bar crawling across the bottom, and after 10-15 minutes or so I decided to put it out of its misery.

Apparently AbiWord may be a better option - I haven't yet had the chance to find out if this is on my disks, though. May also install Gnumeric for the rare occasions I use spreadsheets.

The other issue is how to set about uninstalling OOo. Update: this site suggests using ./setup and choosing the remove option.