<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Not so sad now 

Hooray! Libranet installed, and pretty much everything is working except for the modem. If anyone knows off the top of their head where to find a Linux driver for a US Robotics 56K Faxmodem (no other model number anywhere on the unit) then please let me know in the comments; otherwise I'll just do a bit of googling, or post a query on Linux Questions.

But otherwise everything is working - I got a fun login screen complete with a much happier penguin (the jolly fellow pictured in this post) than the one featured on my title bar, and the IceWM windows manager is more than adequate.

However, I'm glad to have had the (enforced) opportunity over the past few days to use the command-line interface and generally dig around in the innards a bit. I never did get to grips with DOS, but I can now see something of the benefits of using the shell rather than dragging and dropping everything all over the place. Indeed, I felt almost disappointed to go back to windows, menus, icons and all the rest of it - like Ray Liotta at the end of Goodfellas, grumbling that "There's no action ... I'm an average nobody. I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook."

So I will try to continue using bash where possible/necessary. Whether these "good habits" will survive remains to be seen, though having to contend with a slightly clunky GUI like IceWM will certainly help :-)

Thanks once again for all the help and advice people have given on this site. It has all been much appreciated.

Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:2)