<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Modem drivers 

Oops. (See comments).

It looks like setting up my modem is going to be fun!!! Ho hum.

Here's a tutorial from Linux Questions. My favourite bit is about halfway down, when it says, "Now comes the complicated bit". Er, right.

The first obstacle is getting hold of the driver. Here's the address on the US Robotics website:

ftp.usr.com/usr/dl15/LNUX_3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm
Alas, this link just times-out. I've found another site which alleges hosts a copy of the LNUX_3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm file, here:

ftp.yars.free.net/pub/software/unix/platforms/linux/kernel/drivers
This is on the website for the Yaroslavl State University. Wherever that might be. Though I notice their site is hosted on a free website service apparently based in Russia.

Call me a suspicious Aloysius, as Ned Flanders might say, but I'm a little reluctant to just stick a disk in my PC from a source like that, while logged on as root, and simply let it do its stuff.

I may see if the US Robotics site's working tomorrow. Or - since I have a rescue CD to hand - should I just take a chance, on the basis that if it does anything malicious then I can just wipe the hard-drive and start again? (I'm a little reluctant to go down that route, given my experience to date!).