<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Modem problems: latest madcap theory just in 

Here's my latest theory about why I'm having difficulty getting my modem to work (after spending hours poring over the modem HOWTO, checking setserial, adjusting my BIOS plug-and-play settings, etc). It's a little bit crazy, a little bit left-field, a little bit off-the-wall, but here goes: the modem's knackered.

Now, I know what you're thinking, but hear me out, hear me out. I've just tried it on my wife's parents' PC, and whaddyaknow, Windows can't see the modem either. Looks like the IT department at work - who provided the modem in return for a tenner into their beer fund - may (inadvertently, I stress) have sold me a lemon.

Still, it's good to have identified the problem, and hopefully I can now source another modem: either see if our IT boys have another spare kicking around in their store cupboard, or even - gasp! - buy a new one. And yes, I will make sure it's a proper modem, not one of these "Winmodem" abominations...